Our Opening Sequence Preliminary Task
What it is:
This opening sequence is an almost exact copy of the film Submarine. We tried to copy it in terms of camera movement and editing techniques. In the opening, we had a couple of drawbacks like the fact we had no bedroom (as the opening insists of the panning of a bedroom) and we also had no sea to film. On a whole though, I feel like, in terms of camera movement, this opening is quite accurate. We even found out the exact seconds in which each frame consisted of in the actual opening so that we could relocate it in our opening.
Drawbacks:
One of the most major drawbacks is that this wasn't our first attempt. To elaborate, we were already half way through filming the opening sequence to the film Ghostbusters. We had a lot of footage and I feel like the shots were directed pretty well! We even got in costume, got props, got a scene for it and got very specific camera shots to match with the opening. Unfortunately, the footage was lost as it had been erased by previous students, without us even knowing. However, we managed to not get too moody about this misfortune and decided to act upon this to crate another opening. Now, we had limited time so we decided to do a relatively easy opening to Submarine and we managed to shoot it and edit in within the course of two lessons.
What I have learnt:
In this task, I have learnt that, when filming, you need to put in your full potential and concentration as it will all contribute towards a good film, in the whole. Furthermore, I have also learnt that we should back up our work each lesson of filming so that we don't end up stressing in the case of it all getting lost. I have also learnt a bit more about how useful a steady cam can be when filming as it can make each frame seem a lot more professional. Moreover, I learnt how to edit a bit better than before as I had to edit this sequence under the clock. I found out easier ways to connect shots and I am a lot more save when it comes to iMovie. Although we didn't include a lot of connotations relation to the audience demographic, we included what we could which can relate to the audience, for example the use of school and classrooms. Classrooms have strong connotations with the younger audience, especially the audience of Coming of Age films. Also, we included the soundtrack and very still shots of skylines and leaves blowing in the wind and this connects with the audience demographic as many teenagers and young adults like to be alone and isolated and tend to look up at the sky a lot for the answers to their current life troubles so we felt like these shots had many connotations with the genre.
No comments:
Post a Comment